The Tomb of the Shields, Tarquinia
(Versione in Italiano)
The Tomb of the Shields, ( dated 340 BCE and discovered in 1870), is a large and complex hypogeum with four doorways, one in the central position and linked to a room at the back, with two others on the sides, linked through doors and windows, all decorated with painted frames. Its name derived by the fact that walls of the room at the rear of the tomb are decorated with numerous golden shields.
A number of scenes are painted on the entrance wall, showing members of the Velcha family, the tomb occupants. On right of the wall in front of you , there is a banquet, with Larth Velcha reclining on his bed with his wife Velia Seitithi, who is passing him an egg, symbol of rebirth , often reproduced in Etruscan tomb paintings. She is well dressed, and is seated next to her husband's feet, as was the custom. Not far from them, on the right wall, two other members of the family, Velthur and Arnth, the grandparents of Larth, are standing, dressed in large cloaks. They are accompanied by two young musicians. On the left wall Velthur and Ravnthiu appear again, but this time, they sit on folded stools. Velthur is holding a sceptre, symbol of his power. Over the windows, winged Spirits appear.
Larth Velcha with his wife Velia Seitithi, who is passing him an egg, symbol of rebirth ,
Velthur and Arnth, the grandparents of Larth, accompanied by two young musicians.
Velthur and Ravnthiu
A winged Spirit
See also the other pages on the tombs of Tarquinia where in the frescos the egg, symbol of rebirth , is reproduced:
The Tomba dei Tori ( the Tomb of the Bulls)
The Tomba dei Leopardi (The Tomb of the Leopards )
The Tomba delle Leonesse (The Tomb of the Lioness )
Prof. Graziano Baccolini
Università di Bologna, July 2004
FAX: 051-209-3654 E-mail:email@example.com
Index- Montovolo Retreats